Thursday, December 20, 2007

Ending of student print accounts and the need for the VITA tax guide

I saw the notice that student printing accounts will end at midnight Friday. A number of students are printing out the VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) guide that runs 307 pages. (I noticed this tonight and a few other librarians commented on it as the need to refill the printers was constant.) Would there be a problem with continuing the student accounts until Saturday? Or could the VITA program be alerted to this cutoff before it occurs? It might prevent some likely problems on Saturday. Rita

2 comments:

Louise Klusek said...

I am wondering why the VITA volunteers need to print out a 300 page document with their student accounts. Wouldn't it be more cost effective if the program took care of training materials by photocopying or otherwise supplying the document free to its volunteers. If students ask about printing after the Friday cutoff, I'd refer them to their VITA advisor.

Rita said...

I have emailed the BaruchVITA program at the email address I found posted on a flyer in the vertical campus about the end of student printing accounts and suggestions that Jerry sent regarding copies of the manual if they need it.

I have only had the most limited contact with this program in the years that I have been at Baruch and I don't know whom the VITA advisor is. Others have made all the arrangements in the past.

I did check the IRS webpage learned that the training,and tests for this program is now done online at http://www.irs.gov/app/vita/index.jsp. With finals ending I imagine some students are now turning their attention to this program.