Monday, July 17, 2006

Vault.com

The Career Development Center uses a source called Vault, "the online career library". It is available to undergraduate students via the Career Development Center website (via the Hot Links section). Students need to follow instructions to get a password. Some students mistakenly think this is available via the library's website.

When I attempted to get a password to check out the resource, I received the following message, "This Online Career Library is for the sole use of Baruch College undergraduate students. Use by any other individuals or organizations, including without limitation students or alumni of any other departments of this university, is unlawful. Any other use constitutes copyright infringement and theft of services. Any unauthorized use or distribution will be traced and may result in civil and criminal liability."

Is anyone familiar with this resource? Some brief descriptions state that it provides industry and business overviews, and is useful for background information for interviews. I was wondering if, or how, it differs from our library databases.

1 comment:

Rita said...

Hi Linda,

I am on Vault.com's e-mail alert list. Their homepage is http://www.vault.com/. For free they offer "days in the life" of different careers and short updates on careers in accounting, etc. (The one I'm most familiar with.) From the information that you provided, I assume that the Career Development Center has purchased the premier edition of the web site that enables students to download the guides, which I think is a good service to provide. I had once inquired about purchasing access to some of the guides, but I think the Career Development Center is a good choice.