Wednesday, October 31, 2007

question about access to Bloomberg workshops --based on wrong information from another CUNY college

A student came to the reference desk asking about the Bloomberg workshops. I found that one is scheduled for tomorrow, but it is "closed," which I am assuming means that enrollment is closed. She said she was not a Baruch student, but a City College student, and she said she was told by her career office that she could come to Baruch's workshops to learn about Bloomberg.

I said I believed she had been misinformed, and showed her the Subotnick site that limits enrollment to Baruch students, faculty and staff.

She was also under the impression that if she went to www.Bloomberg, that was the same as searching Bloomberg. I explained that they were different, and that the Bloomberg terminals were a separate entity.

I don't know if anything can be done about the misinformation that she said she was given. But at least tomorrow she will not come a long way with an expectation of attending the workshop.

Rita

No comments: