Thursday, August 02, 2007

Possible sources for eucalyptus wood prices

Yesterday Brian Ross and I tried to help a student who was looking for 10 years of prices for eucalyptus wood on the "international" market. He said he had asked in the Subotnick Center but the person working was unable to help him. Brian and I tried a number of web sources, and we found an association of eucalyptus growers that we thought might be able to provide some information. Some of the web resources we found were fee based. We found a number of articles about the market in Factiva and Pulp & Wood.

I offered to contact a librarian I know who works a lot with commodity prices, and that librarian provided the following answer, which appears below, and which is shared for the information he provides:


As for Eucalyptus prices...."international" is a vague word. Is he looking for South America or Asian? Also, is he looking for lumber or pulp prices? In the pulp world, eucalyptus falls into the BHK (bleached hardwood kraft) sector. I'm attaching the last 5 years of BHK prices from Forestweb (US and EU).

I think your best bet might be RISI for information. ....I know they cover most wood and pulp products as well. They also have bought out most of the other forest product services (sort of like the Thomson of the wood world!)

For historical prices that go that far back, they're the source. You should be able to purchase a price series from them. The website is http://www.risiinfo.com.

The other option is to see if Bloomberg has a series that far back, but I'm not sure they do.

No comments: