I learned today that the CFA Institute offers some free webcasts that have been prepared for journalists but I think could be helpful for students, especially those doing Wal-Mart as two of the webcasts cover that company.
From the Certified Financial Analysts's web site, the following information is available:
These webcasts will explain important accounting terms and practices, comment on corporate disclosure practices and potential accounting manipulations, and answer frequently asked questions—all from the perspective of professional financial analysts and portfolio managers who analyze financial statements and potential investments.
* How to Read a 10-Q Like an Investment Professional: Sequel to Wal-Mart Analysis Webcast
* How to Read and Understand Earnings Releases Like an Investment Pro (Case Study: Wal-Mart)
* Seven Investment Habits Every Investor Needs to Know — A Story Idea for the Press
* Buried Treasure: Finding Information Nuggets in 10-Ks and 10-Qs
* How to Read and Understand Earnings Releases Like an Investment Pro
* Hedge Funds 101: What Every Financial Journalist Needs to Know
* Defined-Benefit Pension Plans: What Journalists Need to Know